Close up

Close up
Please allow me to introduce my books as I usher them toward a new life.

Saturday 14 April 2012

The Truth about Lorin Jones, Alison Lurie

I fell in love with the characters in this book. I gobbled up multiple Lurie novels after this one, so I know character is her specialty, but that was not all that animated this novel. The real star is creativity and the creative process and how loud and quiet they can be. There are some lovely creations in this story; poetry, paintings, marriages, lives, and they all required honesty and discipline, so in that way, this is a manual of how to create what you need to be happy. Among Lurie novels, this one stands out for its gorgeous imagery of art and nature as well as the loving treatment of character which is the hallmark of her writing. This novel is rich in beauty and captures the interplay between the broad and narrow strokes, the way small choices lead to big changes.
I got this copy from our beloved and mourned Balfour Books on College which, though diminished, is still alive a few blocks over.
I read this a few times and and enjoyed it, but I think I don't need to read it again. I'll remember it well and fondly.
Score = 0 (6 saved, 6 released)

No comments:

Post a Comment