Close up

Close up
Please allow me to introduce my books as I usher them toward a new life.

Saturday 14 April 2012

Absolute Friends, Jean LeCarre

This book made me understand how you can turn an idealist into a terrorist. The plot is quite complex, so you can make full sense of all the Idealist's actions, but the end result looks very much like a plot for mass destruction. It's very interesting to see how fine the line is between idealism and fanaticism, innocence and rage, and I've kept this copy as a talisman to remind me how closely a thing can resemble its opposite. So aside from being a great story, it takes the reader through a complex idea and leaves us wiser, if more jaded.
A friend from work gave me this book, rightly thinking I'd find it interesting, and I read it up there in the library/guestroom, where there will soon be a desk, once enough books are gone.
This is a really good novel to have read, and it changed my understanding of the way politics and morality hinge together, and I'm grateful for that. So, now it's time to pass this insight on to its next destination.
Score = -1 (6 saved, 7 released)

No comments:

Post a Comment